Thursday, May 8, 2014

Unit 3 Reading Response


Organization and navigation! Krug developed a great way to explain how users see and use webpages based on the usability of navigation. I understand what he’s talking about, and I know that a lot of students my age don’t have that kind of user experience or more like observance to how webpage navigation works. I love to see the good and bad navigation examples, side by side we know what looks good, but as designers we have to combine that with knowledge and practicality. The way Amazon has developed over the years is outstanding; I’m actually shocked that their website looked so sleek and organized (not to mention pretty) in 1998. I think Amazon really set the standards for webpage usability, and being able to know where you are at all times as a user/customer. Tabs, I agree, are a marvelous method for showing where one is on a webpage, but I do have to say that it’s not appropriate for all navigation. That may be obvious, though. I think that the book title, “Don’t Make Me Think,” has really lived up to it’s meaning in chapter six; as a designer, we have to make webpages simple and apparent to the user, it’s like when you’re applying for a job, you have about six seconds to grab the attention of whoever is reading your resume; same with a webpage.

Here are some webpages I found that follow the tab examples.



No comments:

Post a Comment