Thursday, May 8, 2014

Unit 4 Reading Response


Homepages are the first page that a user will see when they are led to your website, so being organized and informational at first glance is very important. Krug explains how the layout should show obvious hierarchy, and that hierarchy should remain the same or recognizable on each page. It really is important, for me, as a user, I need to know where I am on each page, and if I go to a wrong page, I don’t want to have to wait to go backwards if the page I want is in the navigation still. Taglines! Gosh, I see now that there are so many terrible taglines out there! I also didn’t realize how important taglines were for a business until now. Obviously the ones we see on television advertisements, (if they’re clever enough), can stick with us and we can sing along to the jingle or whatnot. But on a website, it’s a chance for the business to explain themselves without trying to blatantly sell you on their site. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that taglines should be inviting, make the user curious to explore more.

Here are three links to websites I found that follow the idea of good hierarchy, effective taglines, and consistent navigation with effective drop-down menus.



No comments:

Post a Comment